Summer is just up ahead, and you are looking at the various ways to keep your kids busy. You want to take a road trip, but you also know what a pain that is when you are the one driving all the way. If you really want to take a summer road trip, here are a few alternatives that allow you to relax and put somebody else in the driver’s seat.
Charter Bus Tours
No matter where you live, there is a bus company that does tours (such as Pacific Coachways Charter Services). Some of them are day tours, while others go for a week or more. You can pay for the trip in installments and then all you have to do is show up to the pick up and drop off site at the correct time on the first day of the trip. Your kids have their own seats and you can even sit between them to keep them from fighting and arguing, something you definitely cannot do when you are the one driving.
Better still, a bus tour as your summer road trip has these additional benefits:
- you do not have to worry about car insurance or your car breaking down during the trip
- many meals are included so you know exactly where you will eat and can plan ahead for your picky eaters
- all your lodging is included and you know exactly where you are staying every night in case someone back home needs to reach you
- if you want advice about the different sights to see along the trip and at your destination, a tour guide rides the bus with the group
- some charter tours have buses with an on-board bathroom so you do not have to wait until the next rest stop to go, nor do you have to pull over for the kids to go
All the things that usually complicate your summer trip adventures are taken care of on a bus tour. The only thing you might want to bring, besides your suitcases, are activity bags for the kids to keep them busy for longer legs of the trip.
Traveling with Special Needs Children
If you have children with special needs, there are charter bus tours that cater to families like yours. Additionally, if your children are at least sixteen years of age, you can also send them on guided bus tours with trained chaperones, and then you can drive the whole trip by yourself and meet them along the way. Either way, you can travel without stressing yourself out and actually enjoy your family’s summer vacation without the extra headaches associated with traveling with children.